Because complicated pain conditions such as CRPS and fibromyalgia have such an extensive list of symptoms, utilising the equally extensive range of herbs to help manage symptoms naturally helps many patients.
Normally herbs are be taken for the period of 1-4 months, until the symptoms are shown to improve. Some herbs act more immediately, like the relaxing effects of chamomile. Other herbs can be taken for extensive periods. Milk thistle and saw palmetto are two examples of herbs used safely long-term.
Always check with your physician before taking any herbal medicine.
- Chamomile: This is a calming herb that can help induce sleep, lessen anxiety, decrease menstrual cramps and may even boost the immune system.
- Echinacea: Supports the immune system and may help prevent infections. Take at the first sign of a cold to boost your immune system for no more than two weeks.
- Peppermint: Helps soothe digestion and ease IBS.
- Cayenne: Can help relieve migraine or tension headaches. It is used for muscle pain when made into a salve or ointment.
- Ginger: Can be used to calm an upset stomach and is also a popular remedy for nausea. It may also have anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory effects.
- Goldenseal: Can reduce inflammation. Also used to detoxify. Not recommended for long-term use. One week to one month is all the longer I would use this.
- Liquorice: Supports the adrenal glands, aids in digestion, and can act as a sexual stimulant.
- Pine Bark: Reduces inflammation. Can help with circulation.
- Milk Thistle: Supports detoxification and particularly the liver, helping its regeneration thus improving the immune system and hormone production.
- Passionflower: Helps with insomnia, stress, and anxiety.
- Turmeric: Helps reduce inflammation as effectively as ibuprofen according to one study.
- Dong quai: can be effective in regulating female problems related to the menstrual cycle. Do not use if you are or may become pregnant. It can cause the uterus to contract, triggering a miscarriage.
- Saw Palmetto: can help men with urinary flow problems.
- Lavender: Relieves insomnia, depression, and can help with headaches. Generally, this scent is inhaled to give the benefits of aromatherapy.